ICC now flays Chinnaswamy stadium

After slapping a one year ban on New Delhi’s Ferozeshah Kotla cricket ground, after the pitch was termed unfit, the International Cricket Council (ICC) now trains it guns on to Bangalore’s Chinnaswamy Stadium.

The ICC’s pitch committee, that inspected the stadium for its readiness for the 2011 cricket World Cup, has slammed the nature of the playing field at the Chinnaswamy Stadium.

This comes days after the Kotla pitch fiasco where the ICC deemed the 22 yards of playing strip as unfit and slapped a ban on the venue.

The ICC report exclusive to TIMES NOW has recommended several changes to the Bangalore Pitch to make it suitable for the World Cup.

Read more

At Eden, Test Cricket Lives

After completing 150 on Monday, Virender Sehwag first raised his bat to the thousands of spectators in the galleries opposite the clubhouse before turning around to acknowledge the cheers of his teammates in the dressing room.

It was a nice gesture because in the Eden Gardens under reconstruction for next year’s World Cup, most of the spectators sit in the galleries on the High Court end of the ground. Sehwag was acknowledging their involvement. These days, many players wave towards the dressing room balcony only.

Spectators at Eden break into applause often, sometimes just because they love to hear themselves. “They do a Mexican wave and then clap for themselves,” said Roy Abraham from Mumbai, who has come to Kolkata just to watch this Test and was seen raising his arms every time the wave came to his part of the stand.

Read more

No IPL matches for Hyderabadis – Deccan Chargers fans disappointed

Lakhs of cricket fans in Hyderabad are going to be disappointed with the new edition of the Indian Premier League as the city will not host a single match of the tournament. IPL chairman Lalit Modi announced on Sunday that all seven matches that were scheduled to be held at Hyderabad have been moved to other cities in light of the Telangana protests.

Mumbai and Nagpur will host three matches each – the games at Nagpur are on March 19, 21, 28 while those at Mumbai are on April 5, 10, 12. Also, the opening ceremony and the first game between defending champions Deccan Chargers and the Kokata Knight Riders will be held at the DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai. The state government of AP had promised adequate security for the IPL, however the organisers do not want to take any risks this time around.

AP Chief Minister Rosiah had had appealed to the organisers to reverse their decision but to no avail. As a result the state sports minister requested the Deccan Chargers to boycott the tournament, saying it was an insult to the state. “IPL has insulted Andhra Pradesh by shifting out the match to Mumbai. We request Sharad Pawar and Lalit Modi to reconsider the decision within 24 hours,” he said. “We have asked Deccan Chargers to stay away from the event as an expression of solidarity and send the message that the whole state is united in demanding relocation of the (inaugural) match,” he added.

Read more

IPL 2010: Ravindra Jadeja banned for blackmailing Rajasthan

The IPL has banned Ravindra Jadeja from participating in the third season of the tournament. The season, which begins from the 12th of March, will see the Rajasthan Royals play without the all-rounder due to what the IPL has described as ‘blackmailing of franchises’

Modi said that he had been penalised for trying to negotiate with the other franchises. He also added that the rules laid down by the IPL governing committee were sacrosanct and the players were expected to stick to them.

There was, however, an outside chance that Jadeja may still play in the tournament if he appealed to the governing council. Jadeja has yet to do so.

Jadeja had a two-year long contract with the Rajasthan Royals for a sum of $50,000 per annum. He had been a part of the World Cup winning, Under-19 team of 2008, where the colts had gone on to beat South Africa in the finals.

Read more