IPL 2012 Preview: Chennai Super Kings vs Kings XI Punjab, 17 May 2012
On a three-match winning streak, Chennai Super Kings will look to seal their play-off berth when they take on an erratic Kings XI Punjab in a crucial preliminary match of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2012.
The tournament in its final leg, there is a mad scramble to bag the three available spots in the top-four to make the play-off cut after table-toppers Delhi Daredevils became the first team to qualify with 20 points from 14 matches.
Chennai, playing their last league match tomorrow, are on the fourth spot after eight wins and six losses that left their points tally at 17.
Kings XI Punjab also have an outside chance of making the play-offs provided they win both their remaining matches and some results go their way. Punjab are currently seventh in the list with seven wins and an equal number of losses.
Led by stand-in captain David Hussey, KXIP have the daunting task of beating tough teams such as Chennai and Delhi Daredevils here.
Opener Mandeep Singh has been the prolific scorer for his team accumulating. Australian Shaun Marsh, former Pakistani all-rounder Azhar Mahmood and young South African David Miller too have shown that the home side’s batting has depth.
But the defeat against Delhi in the away match would have surely affected the team’s morale.
Medium pacers Praveen Kumar, Parvinder Awana and Mahmood who can bat as well, have done a decent job in the bowling department and the team’s fielding, too, has improved as the tournament has progressed.
Chennai, on the other hand, have gained momentum as the tournament approaches its business end. They upstaged Kolkata Knight Riders in their previous match and that in front of a packed Eden Gardens.
And Chennai would be eyeing revenge against Kings XI Punjab for handing them a loss in front of their home fans last month. (PTI)
CSK (Probable): MS Dhoni (c&wk), Mike Hussey, Murali Vijay, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, Srikkanth Anirudha, Dwayne Bravo, Faf du Plessis, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ben Hilfenhaus, Shadab Jakati
KXIP (Probable): Nitin Saini (wk), Mandeep Singh, Shaun Marsh, David Hussey (c), Azhar Mahmood, David Miller, Gurkeerat Singh, Piyush Chawla, Praveen Kumar, Parvinder Awana, Harmeet Singh.
Time: 16:00 local (10:30 GMT)Tags:Chennai Super Kings vs Kings XI Punjab, Cricket, Cricket News, DLF IPL, ipl, IPL 2012, IPL 5, ipl cricket, ipl cricket live, ipl news, IPL Season 5
Random IPL Cricket Updates
- Chennai Super Kings vs Kings XI Punjab – IPL 5 – 37 Match 2012 – Result
- IPL 2012 Preview: Kings XI Punjab vs Deccan Chargers, 13 May 2012
- Chennai Super Kings vs Kings XI Punjab – IPL 5 – 37 Match 2012 – Scorecard
- Kings XI Punjab vs Delhi Daredevils Scorecard IPL 2012
- Deccan Chargers vs Kings XI Punjab Scorecard IPL 2012
- Kings XI Punjab Vs Delhi Daredevils Live Scores IPL 2012
- Rajasthan Royals vs Kings XI Punjab Scorecard IPL 2012
- Mumbai Indians vs Kings XI Punjab – IPL 5 – 33 Match 2012 – Scorecard
- Kings XI Punjab vs Deccan Chargers Scorecard IPL 2012
- Mumbai Indians vs Kings XI Punjab – IPL 5 – 33 Match 2012 – Result